The Trail Running Personality

Wednesday, March 29, 2006
Greatoutdoors.com has a lot of interesting articles on a range of topics, including a few very near and dear to my heart, such as climbing, hiking, and paddling. While browsing around their site, I found this really cool article on the personality and make-up of a trail runner. According to the article, a trail runner is someone who seeks out "adventure, variety, challenge, and excitement." They often prefer to be alone in their runs, and enjoy a scenic, long, backwoods trail, to a track, road, or sidewalk.

As someone who loves trail running, I found this to be a fun little article that discusses the differences between a road runner and trail runner in a straight forward fashion. It captured the essence of why I enjoy trail running. Personally, I love to get outside, and away from it all, and have some time on the trail to myself. I also enjoy the challenge of trail running, and the views along the way as well. Unfortunately, I find it hard to get onto a trail on a regular basis during the week, as it is often dark by the time I get to run, so I save my trail runs for weekend experiences. Of course, we're only a few weeks from daylight savings time kicking in, so I'm hoping that will help my weekday runs more. Well, that and getting over this nasty case of shin splints I'm battling through. Ouch!