Backcountry Navigation NG Adventure Style.

Wednesday, March 1, 2006
National Geographic Adventure has this great little article in their "Instant Expert" series about backcountry navigation. It's a short, but sweet, little primer for getting orientated and navigating while in the wilderness.

Some of the best points to think about are getting your bearings, plotting (and sticking to) a course, and to not go rushing ahead. They also recommend some great, high quality compasses, and offer some links to some good orienteering and rogain sites.

I've given my thoughts on this before, and those who read my blog regularly know I'm a tech gear junkie who loves his GPS. But, I think it is vitally important that you know who to navigate by reading a map, using landmarks, and using a compass. Sometimes a GPS just can't get a good signal, or you're stranded miles from the trailhead with dead batteries. While there is nothing really new in this article, I still found it to be a nice reminder, and a good intro for someone new.