Kilimanjaro: Crown of Africa

Thursday, March 16, 2006
Mount Kilimanjaro is the highest peak on the African continent, and one of the Seven Summits. It's a challenging, non-technical climb that takes you through all the climate zones found on Earth en route to the summit at 19,341 feet. Today I found this great little site, called The Crown of Africa that allows you to explore Kilimanjaro from your desktop. The site requires Flash, but it offers some tons of information and photographs. You'll find details on routes up the mountain, conditioning needed to summit, and all the gear you'll need for the trip.

Climbing Kili is my number one dream trip at the moment, and it's the one that I plan to complete with in a few years. For some reason I've been captivated by it since seeing an IMAX film a few years back, and I've made it one of my goals ever since. Thanks to Greatoutdoors.com for putting together such a great site.