Eagles and Storks pressing on

Thursday, February 11, 2010
Stiff north-westerly today. Still a lot of cloud about but the birds got going after yesterday's enforced pause. A largish flock of White Storks came over the town at lunchtime. I managed to get these shots from my roof! I have a fairly flat roof outside my lab and I usually have the camera handy. The cloud made the birds appear silhoutted but it was a spectacle all the same. Flights of Storks crossing the Strait from Africa into Europe at this time of year brings back childhood memories. It's one of the great things about Gibraltar - you don't have to go far to see wildlife at its best!





Flight of storks moving away northwards over the rooftops of Gibraltar today

The storks made me go out at lunch to see if other birds were crossing. In a brief time I picked up two Short-toed Eagles and a few Black Kites. The eagles created a commotion among the breeding Yellow-legged Gulls which mobbed them as usual at this time of year. Not the best welcome to Europe after a tiring sea crossing! We'll be seeing much more of this as these eagles reach their peak migration at the end of the month.

Short-toed Eagle over Gibraltar today

Steady passage of hirundines all day. Mainly Swallows and House Martins with a smattering of Red-rumps, Crags and my first Sand Martins.